Wednesday, June 16, 2010

A Day in the Life of a Pregnant Woman

4:30am: I wake up for the 3rd time to “get comfortable.” I flip from my right side to my left side to relieve my numb right arm from being cramped under my body and then adjust the folded-up pillow between my knees.

4:35am: The flip to my left side put pressure on my bladder (again!) and I have to get up to run to the bathroom. I make my way back to bed and try this “getting comfortable” thing one more time.

6:30am: James wakes up for work. I wake up to find myself lying on my back again. I hate not being able to sleep on my back but no matter how hard I try I always seem to wake up that way. I flip over one more time… I’ll try the right side again. James gives me a kiss goodbye and I mumble something that sounds like “Have a good day. Love you.”

7:30am: I wake up and realize I can’t lay in bed another minute. Even if my back wasn’t aching, my bladder is about to EXPLODE (once again.)

7:45am: I make my way to the refrigerator and begrudgingly reach for the pineapple juice. What I really want is a Venti White Mocha (with an extra shot) from the Starbucks down the street. Heck, a small mug of home-brewed Folgers with a teaspoon of sugar would suffice.

8am: I eat a bowl of cereal and a banana. I finish off the pineapple juice and wonder what else I might find to eat in the kitchen. I hard-boil an egg to eat and then figure I’ll be hungry for lunch in two hours anyway.

8:30am: I place my pilates mat on the floor and put in my prenatal pilates dvd. I “huuuuggg my baaabyyyyy” as I stretch and strengthen my abdominal and pelvic floor muscles… I’ll try anything that has a chance of making the delivery go much quicker and be a lot less painful.

9am: I head down to the indoor pool to swim a couple laps and do some leg kicks. It’s supposed to reduce the swelling and keep me tone during pregnancy without actually having to do cardio. Not to mention, women who regularly do water exercises during pregnancy have a lower rate of complications and a c-section.

9:30am: While taking a shower I take one look at my razor and even wonder if it’s worth it to try. I decide to go for it. I’m only going to have one more month of being able to reach around this body to get to my legs anyway. I should make the most of it.

10am: What to wear? I still have two pairs of capris that fit and only 3 or 4 shirts (which all resemble tents.) I throw on something and take a glance at myself in the mirror. I remember my pre-pregnancy body and wonder if I’ll ever see that figure again… I wonder how long it will take.

10:15am: I throw on some make up. I would’ve normally never worn a ton of make up in the summertime but the pregnancy has my hormones so outta wack my face is starting to resemble a pepperoni pizza.

10:30am: I was right. It’s two hours later and I’m STARVING! I eat some chicken salad and crackers to hold me over until it’s actually time for lunch.

11am: Is it lunch time yet? NO? Screw lunch time… I’m craving a cold cut sandwich… but no deli meats for me. hmph. Who made these rules up anyway??? I settle for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and a few potato chips. I down a glass of milk which is the only thing I have really specifically craved during the pregnancy (other than just food in general.) Milk and cheese… mmmm…. I’m craving it while writing about it.

11:30am: BATHROOM BREAK! For the sake of having to write it every time, you should just know that I do this on the hour, every hour.

12pm: It’s laundry day. I spend the next few hours watching tv and doing laundry. Right now I do laundry about once a week… Spit-up and poop, among other things I’m sure, aren’t going to smell very good being left to sit around on dirty clothes for a week at a time. I wonder what other things will change when the baby is born…


12:05pm: While in the laundry room, some older woman who also lives in the building asks me when my little one is due. I've just gotten to the point where people actually ask me things like this now. For the longest time I just kept getting the look. You know the one... where you see a lady who looks pregnant but you just can't quite tell. People would just stare at my belly and then at my face and smile and then very quickly glance back at my belly as if they were dying to know. The older lady and I chat for a few minutes. Like everyone else, she gives me her own stories and advice. Everyone always has something to say. I smile politely, nod and thank her for the advice... just like I always do.

12:30pm: While lying down and watching TV I can feel her kick and wiggle around inside my tummy. This puts a smile on my face… AS ALWAYS! (Even when she’s thumping on my bladder… knowing she’s in there makes the pain and discomfort totally worth it!)

1:30pm: Hungry again… back to the kitchen. I cut up an apple and eat it with Nutella. Yum!

2pm: Laundry is done. But the constant bending over from loading/unloading the washers and dryers and the folding of clothes has left my lower abdomen feeling strained and uncomfortable. The fatique is getting to me again too… I’m usually exhausted and in need of a nap by this time. It could also be due to the lack of caffeine…. I want coffee so bad!!!!! A short power nap will have to suffice.

3pm: I wake up, stretch and head to the toilet… yet again.

3:15pm: James gets home from work and we chat for a while about our day and what we have planned for the evening. He spends the next hour working out and taking a shower while I pick up around the house.

4:30pm: We take a leisurely bike ride down the boardwalk and discuss the things we still have yet to do. While we do have a few boxes of diapers and baby wipes and a TON of clothes already thanks to my sisters, my mom and Samantha, we still have no nursery and haven’t yet chosen a pediatrician. He can sense my anxiety and just smiles at me and says, “It’ll all work it’s way out, baby girl.” I agree with him.

5:30pm: We start cooking dinner. Tonight is pasta night. We decided on a side salad and manicotti.

6:30pm: I stare at my plate thinking how nice a glass of wine would go with dinner… only a few more months!

7:30pm: We finish off the dishes (okay, fine, James finishes off the dishes) and we curl up on the couch to watch a movie rental… last night was his vampire movie so tonight it’s my turn.

8:30pm: Halfway through the movie, she starts hiccupping and kicking around. James watches the movie with his hand on my tummy so he can feel it too.

9:30pm: I drink a glass of water and take my prenatal vitamin. 6 months later and that huge, nasty pill still hasn’t started to get any easier to take.

9:45pm: We spend the rest of the evening watching tv or in bed with a book. Lately I’ve been reading What to Expect When You’re Expecting. I only read a few pages every day so that I can follow along week-by-week as I learn about all the changes my body is going through as well as how much baby is developing. I learn that baby's ears and eyes are now fully developed. She can even blink now! Her lungs are not quite functioning but are preparing to be able to take in air as soon as she's born. She's now about 12 inches tall... if she could stand and weighs about 1 1/2 1bs!

10:30pm: I grab the cocoa butter off the bedside table and James helps me rub it on my belly and hips. No stretch marks yet and I’m planning on keeping it that way!

10:35pm: I put a pillow between my legs and roll over. I know it’ll take a few more tries before I’ll actually get comfortable. We each say our bedtime prayer, turn out the lights and fall asleep.

Midnight: I wake up suddenly from a weird pregnancy dream. I should write a separate blog just dedicated to the weird dreams I have. This time I had gone into labor. We were at the hospital and instead of “giving birth” I had to get my baby from one of those quarter arcade games… you know the one where there are a ton of quarters sitting on the edge of moving platform and you have to drop in a quarter and move it to the edge where a pile of quarters will hopefully drop into your reach? Anyway, instead of quarters it was babies. And I put in a quarter and had to push one of the babies into my reach. It was very strange… the babies were all just lying there on their bellies sleeping peacefully as the platform moved them back and forth. I remember hearing the lady behind the curtain beside me who just “won” twins. She was so excited. I could over hear a woman in another room trying for one of the pretty ones. I was just sitting there praying for one of the healthy babies.

12:30am: I finally drift off back to sleep, still hoping for one of the healthy ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment